Friday, June 19, 2009

Oh, You're Together?

It's funny, when my husband and I are together, whether in a restaurant, standing in line somewhere, even at a hospital, people aren't quite sure if we are a couple. Most recently I was in the emergency room (that's another crazy story for another day) and we were waiting for the doctor. When he finally came in and introduced himself he shook my hand and then looked at Jamie, shook his hand and said, "You are?".......long pause.......I finally finished his sentence and said, "Husband." He said, "You just never know these days." Yeah right! We all know if Jamie had been white the doctor would have automatically assumed he was my husband, but since he was black he just didn't go there. Funny don't you think!? The same thing happens to us in restaurants when we are waiting for a table. Unless we are holding hands or wrapped around each other, which we try not to do in public, =) it's always, "Oh, you're together?" Really, is this such a shock....this is southern Cali for goodness sake! One of the more comical "Oh, you're together" moments was when I was having surgery years ago. I was waking up post surgery and was asking for my husband. I wanted him by my side, and he also had my glasses and I couldn't see a darn thing! No contact lenses during surgery. =( The nurse said she checked the family waiting room and he wasn't there. I knew he was because he would make sure he was there when I woke up. That is just the kind of guy he is. I asked her to check again. She did, and she then went on to describe who was in the room and once again she was determined that he was not there. Well guess what "nurse ratchet," the black man in the waiting room is my husband! She didn't even ask him if he was with me! Imagine!? I finally had my hubby back by my side AND I could see again too! Let's hope the nurse's eyes were opened just a little wider that day as well!

4 comments:

casademallory said...

Okay, I think this is the first time I'm leaving a comment other than when you first asked my opinion about the blog. Hilarious! Being a hispanic woman and Arnold a black man (of course you know, but some your readers don't know me from adam) we get that a lot too!!!!

Amy Wise said...

I know Nancy isn't it crazy that people just assume we are not together?! Now if the tables were turned and it was 2 Hispanic people, or 2 Asian, or 2 White, or 2 Black people they automatically assume, oh they ARE together. Why is that? They could be brother and sister for all they know! It just strikes me as so funny that people look at us and assume we are not together. One day....this will all change and one day it won't need to be a blog! Thanks for reading!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I found your site while looking up Loving vs. Virginia. For the last 1 1/2 years, I have been in an interracial relationship. I have also had the hospital experience where I went into the recovery room to see my boyfriend and the nurse asked me who I was looking for. I explained that I was looking for Justin(my white boyfriend) and she did not even consult the chart, She assumed that since there were no black men in the recovery area, I must be lost. After pointing to the name on the chart infront of her, she said "Oh, now we know". What that means and why it was so surprising to her, I can never understand. Love comes in many colors. I can relate to everything on your blog. We don't have children yet, but I anticipate the same situations. Me and my boyfriend always laugh at the ignorance of those around us.
One game that we like to play is putting someone in the line at the grocery store. Then the other person comes up later. The person behind us in the line always assumes that they are being cut infront of because their first instinct is that we could not possibly be together. Anyway, keep up the blogging. I enjoy reading.
Shaun(cunning_2000@hotmail.com)

Amy Wise said...

Shaun I am so happy you found me. I cracked up when I read your comment because my husband and I were at the store the other day and the exact same thing happened to us! He went back to get something while I was in line putting everything on the counter and when he came back to get in line with me I got the "OHHH, raised eyebrow looks" after they realized he wasn't cutting in line! You gave me a giggle today. Thanks for reading...I appreciate your comments!

Amy