Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Hair....It Continues to Amaze Me...........



One thing that I’m still getting used to even after 16 years of having a mixed race daughter is this whole "hair thing." The other day I went into Tatiana's bathroom and hanging everywhere were rows of HAIR! She had washed her weave and it was hanging off the towel racks, shower curtain, and counter. It looked like long black creatures had taken over everything in sight. At first when I walked into the bathroom I was a little freaked out, but then I looked around and literally laughed out loud!

Each time I write about hair, and there have been many, it seems Tatiana is at a different stage in her life. First, as a little girl, it was combing through, braiding, and filling her thick, curly hair with barrettes. Then, as a pre-teen, it was adding extensions, and having them braided for hours at a time. Now, as a teen, it’s long, straight extensions, after her bi-monthly trips to the salon. I don't know why this blows me away so much because as a white woman, I go through the same type of craziness every month when I get my hair cut, colored and highlighted. What's the difference? The difference is I don't have someone else's hair attached to my head and hanging throughout the house! =) Trippy!

The other night we were all getting ready for bed and Jamie looked down and thought our little black poodle was lying really still on the floor, when in actuality it was Tat's weave! We had all been watching a movie together and she had taken it out piece by piece, and eventually it ended up in a nice, neat pile on the floor looking exactly like our dog. Hilarious! It just cracks me up that this black fluff ball on the floor looked more like our tiny toy poodle then my child’s hair!

Because I always want to know as much as I can about what my child goes through, I recently sat down to watch Good Hair. Good Hair is the documentary hosted by Chris Rock that follows where the hair extensions come from and how they eventually get to the heads of black women all over America. I haven’t watched the whole thing yet because once I started watching I asked Tat if she had seen it, and she said no. I want to sit and watch it with her so she can see the history behind what is attached to her head. It just fascinates me that there is a documentary about this! I’m sure the black women that are reading this are cracking up at me because this is just part of how you were raised and who you are, but for me it’s a totally new adventure.

Whenever we go to buy Tat’s hair we have to go to the “hood” because of course you can’t by “her hair” in the suburbs where we live. Even though our neighborhood is quite the melting pot, we still don’t have a beauty supply place that caters to the African American crowd. What’s up with that!? Hmmm, maybe I should open one....would that be weird? I’m always the only white person at the beauty supply where she shops so why not be the only one in our area that owns one!? It’s a thought. =)

As Tatiana hits each of the different life stages, I continue to learn something new. I love it, and wouldn’t change a thing. So even today, after 16 long years, her hair continues to amaze me and probably always will!

You can check out some of my other hair stories from at the links below:

http://themanyshadesoflove.blogspot.com/2009/10/salon.html

http://themanyshadesoflove.blogspot.com/2009/07/where-can-i-buy-pick.html

http://themanyshadesoflove.blogspot.com/2009/05/hairsimple-right.html

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

So funny that you write about hair as Deb and Barb are writing about baldness on their blog today. Has Tatiana ever worn her hair just curly or "natural"? I bet it would be beautiful on her as she is so gorgeous any which way. Loved the hair stories today.

Amy Wise said...

Madge,

Ha ha ha that's weird that we wrote about the same thing! Tat's hair is so thick and so curly it's hard for her to wear it natural. She did when she was little but now it's easier for her to have it straight. Thank you for the lovely words about her! Love you!.....A.

Unknown said...

sometimes i wear one too...not that i need it but just for volume and to add length! raul hates it and thinks its the weirdest thing when he sees my "hair" on the bathroom counter. :)

Delaney Diamond said...

Amy, I haven't seen Good Hair, but it's in my netflix queue.

I laughed when I read this post. I wear my hair natural, but every so often I want to change my look--a straight bob or add highlights--and I don't want to do anything drastic to my own hair. I get a sew-in weave to change my look.

More black women are going natural because relaxers are so bad for us and damage our hair--all in the name of beauty. The sad part is, we have to relearn how to take care of and style our own hair! :(

I've been natural about 9 years. It took some getting used to, but I'm glad I did it.

Amy Wise said...

Lisa that is hilarious! It is still weird for me to see Tatiana's "hair" lying around. I will never get used to it! =)

Delaney,

I love it when black women wear their hair natural. I think it's so beautiful! Aside from being healthy for your hair I just love the look. I saw part of Good Hair and have it in my queue now too! You are going to be amazed when you see it! I just couldn't believe how the weaves come about....it's wild!

Thanks so much for reading and commenting ladies! Have a great night! Amy

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I found this blog over at lovingday.org yesterday and I've already bookmarked it because it is hilarious!

Seems like black women everywhere go through pretty much the same thing. I am Kenyan and about the same age as Tatiana and I love me some hair extensions! :-) Around here it is pretty common though because non-Africans (people of European, Asian and/or Arab descent) account for only about 1% of the population.

I love your blog, Amy.

NAY K. said...

Hair problem? Are you kidding me Amy. I am at times surprise when bi-racial people oops, girls/ women have to use wigs and weaves, when they (bi-racial) people have great hair.

I am African American and over the years once in a while, people have asked me, what would I change about myself. I often wish that I had my son’s hair or bi-racial guys like actors, Shemar Moore and Kristoff St. John to name a few.

I guess some mix people can have more of Black dominant hair genes, but for the most part, bi-racial people are blessed to have the perfect skin tone {not too dark, not too light} ah café caramel and a grade of hair that is just right. Tatiana and my son, Alex are living proof of that.

That is just funny (in a good way) to me when I read that you have to go out and buy a weave for Tat. Sometimes Black women get talked about for that.

One of my favorite B.E.T “Comic View” Don Curry aka D.C comedians said, dark skin black people with long straight hair down the back, blue eyes or hazel eyes, they know good and well that is not their natural hair or eyes because they were not born with it.

I just assumed that your daughter has such a good texture of hair that she does not need to use a weave.

So I am amazed that she does want a weave or need one. Let’s give a shout out to ALL the bi-racial people on the planet, whoop there they are. Miami Heat rules.

Amy Wise said...

Kenyan Princess,

I'm so happy you found my blog and are enjoying it! Glad I could make you laugh. =)

Loving Day is great so glad you are on there as well.

It's so interesting that black women from ALL over deal with the same things. =)

Thanks so much for reading...I hope you come back often! Have a great weekend! Amy

Amy Wise said...

Nay K.

Tatiana did not get "bi-racial hair." Her hair is CRAZY thick and curly. Not easy to care for at all. Everyone thinks it is but it's soooo not! =)

Hope all is well with you!

Amy

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.