Wednesday, July 1, 2009

He's too Ghetto......

My last post was, "She's Just a Fad," so I thought it was a fitting segue for this post to be,"He's too Ghetto." I heard it once, I heard it twice, I heard it multiple times...."He's too ghetto for you." Wow....how does one decide that for someone? Yes, Jamie and I grew up in very different worlds, and yes, we are different races, but does that automatically mean that we are not meant to be together? The funny thing is I didn't just hear this from my white "friends," I also heard it from black "friends" as well. Notice the quotes around friends. =) Over and over I would say, "Can't you just be excited for me that I found someone who makes me happy?" Simply because Jamie was from the "hood" and I was from "the other side of the tracks" everyone assumed it wouldn't work. We still hear it to this day......people are constantly saying, "How on earth did you two get together?!" The funny thing is, the beauty of why we DO work, is BECAUSE we come from two different worlds. We both bring so many different things to the relationship that the other person didn't have before, it makes the balance beautiful! It's all about coming to the middle. We have taught each other so much, and because we truly appreciate where we both came from, we have taken bits of both of our lives to build this life. If we had listened to all of the naysayers along the way, we would have split up a long time ago. Instead, we listened to our hearts, and now we continue to grow and learn from each other as the marriage and the years go on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The funny thing is, Jamie is the sweetest, most caring individual I have ever met - not just to you and Tat but to anyone he considers a friend or a member of his family. I am so proud to be his sister-in-law and hope that my daughter finds someone as committed to her and supportive of her as Jamie is to you. Too ghetto? Are you kidding me? (in fact, I'm not even sure what that means!)
Lori

Amy Wise said...

Awww Lori you are so kind. Isn't that the truth though! He would do anything for the people he loves, and family is the most important thing to him. That is what I love the most about him and one of the many reasons I married him. =) Love ya Sis!

A.